Newsletter #29

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting October 19th, 2017

The regular meeting was held after the first Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Annual General Meeting (AGM) in the Community Centre. The AGM minute with reports from the chairman and secretary along with our financial report will be published here shortly.

Following a social period, the business of the Shed was discussed. Secretary Douglas talked about the AGM and the election of four new Trustees who replaced those standing down. The new Trustees are, Peter Cooper, George McKinnon, Ian Smith and Robert Stirling.

It was good to welcome the chairman Bill Allan and Shedder David Ross, back to the regular meetings following their successful treatment in ARI. The current status of our CAT applications and progress towards entry into the Civil Defence Bunker was explained by Bill and is set out in his AGM report.

In Poly-tunnel news Shedder Paul reported on the recent activities as both George and Peter are poorly. Things have progressed at Mackie with the raised bed frames in place and currently being filled with topsoil. Shedders were asked to continue their support for the ongoing activities at the poly-tunnel.
We are still sourcing bulbs, for the school pupils, to plant for the spring.

Shedder Ian reported on the arrangements for the Xmas lunch. There has been a good response and already more than twenty members have signed up. The venue is the Station Hotel on the 7th December. Booking forms where members can set out their meal choices have been prepared and are available from the events committee.

Shedder Andy reported that the Emergency First Aid training course would take place in the Community Centre on Friday and we have had a great response from the shedders for places on the course. A first aid qualification is mandatory for Shed Safety Supervisors and so this course is a further enabling step in operating from the Civil Defence Bunker.

Every second week there is no speaker as the members focus on project activities and bring in examples of their work to share with the group.
Shedder Mike O’Hagan brought along a digital gauge travelling microscope (see illustration below) that he has made and demonstrated how it functioned. There is a long leadscrew on a fixed bed that holds a stand for the microscope. The leadscrew can be turned to the left or right and the allows the microscope and gauge to be moved in a motion parallel to the bed. The microscope is connected to a laptop and the magnified image is shown on the screen.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and indoor

The next meeting will be on 26th October in the Community Centre Bath Street. The room is open from 12.30. The speaker will be Dr. Alfred Dossett from the Stonehaven Medical Group, who will be giving a talk on our Prostate issues.

Dates for your diary:
30th November – Proposed Visit to Portlethen Shed
7th December – Xmas Lunch Station Hotel
Further info at Stonehaven Men’s Shed on the Web, or e-mail to info@StonehavenMensShed.co.uk.

Tea, coffee, Biscuits & cake are available.

Newsletter #28

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting October 12th, 2017

News and Business:-

Chairman Bill Allan is home and starting his recovery. Dave Ross was been injured in a fall from a ladder but is also back at home. We extend sympathy and best wishes for a speedy recovery to both men.

E-mailAll interested members should have received an e-mail announcement of the meeting, complete with a report on the last meeting, using a new E-mailing procedure. If you know of anyone who has been missed off the list please get in touch via the “Contact” page and let us know the name, and the email address if at all possible.

Premises No new progress to report.

Polytunnel The fence has been moved successfully. Soil and frames were taken to the site and the Tuesday morning class for pupils of Mackie did a great job in digging the area gained from the fence move. Preparations are well underway for installing raised beds.

Christmas Lunch Ian Smith consulted the members present and the following details were agreed:-Station Hotel on 7-Dec-2017 12:30 for 13:00,

2 courses only = Main + Desert = £20-95,  Shedders only

The menu is available at http://www.stationhotelstonehaven.co.uk/festive-season/christmas-menu/

Ian will send out forms to Shedders who have registered an interest, asking for menu choices and payment. You can register your interest on our “Contact” page. Ian asked for donations for a Raffle saying hopefully that if those wishing to donate would let him know soon-ish it would allow him to get the preparations underway. Again send details through the “Contact” page.

Presentation by Wally Burnett and Webmaster Nick Hyatt

Wally is a Shed Trustee and he looks after our on-line presence. He did some electrical work for his neighbour, Nick, who is repaying by working as our Webmaster. Wally says that the Shed has definitely got the better part of the deal! Nick is Chief Designer at QD Design (Scotland) and a web search finds him on Facebook and LinkedIn.

They showed the available pages on our website and discussed the content. There are also two pages under construction at the moment; Useful Info and Project Help. Info is self-explanatory but the Project Help will encompass tools/items for sale and wanted; equipment/specific parts for sale and wanted; help requests to complete a project, whether that be know-how or muscle; an event in another area leading to requests for a lift or someone saying they have spare seats to go to an event. Initially requests will be made on the “Contact” page or to Info@StonehavenMensShed.co.uk but the plan is for Shedders to register on that page and then post as needed. (To try to keep spammers out)
Nick then gave a very interesting and “plain English” talk on “Ten Apps you should have”. This generated a lot of attention and a wide range of subjects and queries were raised and explained by Nick. The details of these 10 applications are available to download below. Wally thanked him for his presentation which was very well received and also thanked him for his work on our web site.

The Top 10 Apps Nick presented are in this file.

Questions on Nick’s talk – answers were given to other specific questions, but the ones noted below will be answered after some research.-

Printer problem HP 1510

Phone keyboards

Music to phone won’t play

Apple v Android v Windows

=====================Tea Break===============

Project Help Wanted Metal Lathe Restoration

Mike O’Hagan asked for help to restore a Denham Junior metal work lathe (circa 1940) he hopes to donate to the Shed. The critical item is to replace a missing tail stock quill at reasonable cost – plan one has failed.

Please will anyone who can help, with skills or contacts, get in touch. Mike would also like help in setting the lathe up and making it “movable”. (The lathe has a taper turning attachment.)

Contact through the “Contact” page or to Info@StonehavenMensShed.co.uk

Orkney Stools with Sea Grass Seats

Duncan Cursiter asked for help with his project to make Orkney stools with sea grass seats. He showed us one he had purchased. He thought that making and selling the stools might be a fund raising project for the Shed.

Members suggested that the weaving of the seats might be done at the Community Centre meetings extra to the weekly meetings and the room would be easily cleaned up afterwards. Making the wood work stool frames would have to take place elsewhere.

Several Members offered tools, use of their own sheds and timber for the project. (Wally Burnett, Mike O’Hagan, and others)

Mike mentioned the Woodturning group who meet in the Community Centre on Wednesday afternoons and the Woodwork “evening class” at the Mackie Academy on Wednesday evenings. Both can offer tools and instruction which might help.

Shed members who are retired/semi-retired Joiners would be a big help here – please get in touch. Contact via the “Contact” page or to Info@StonehavenMensShed.co.uk

Attendance = 22 members 

Dates for your diary:

19th October – Annual General Meeting – 10.30 Community Centre Bath Street

19th October – Regular Shed Meeting – 12.30 Community Centre Bath Street

20th October – Emergency First Aid training – 09.00 Community Centre Bath Street

30th November – Proposed Visit to Portlethen Shed

7th December – Christmas Lunch Station Hotel 12:30 for 13:00

Newsletter #27

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting October 5th, 2017

The regular meeting was chaired by Andy Lorimer who welcomed the Shedders to the Community Centre meeting room. It was good to welcome Shedder Jim back after his surgery and subsequent recuperation.
Following a social period, the business of the Shed was discussed. Secretary Douglas talked about the board meeting. There is a need to replace board members who are standing down and there are four vacancies for the board to be filled at the AGM. Our Vice Chairman Jim Stephen has also decided to stand down from that role due to the high level of voluntary work he currently carries out. He will remain a board member. The Board thanked Jim for his service to the Shed so far. Following a discussion, Andy Lorimer was proposed for the role of Vice Chairman and the board was unanimous in agreeing that appointment. Douglas went on to discuss progress on the Bunker availability and CAT status. He finished by reminding the meeting about the AGM on the 19th October and his hope that as many members as possible attend.

Poly-tunnel News

Shedder Peter reported that the work to reposition the fence was now completed and preparations have started to clean up the grounds and install the raised beds. Following a short break, work with the pupils from Mackie started again on Tuesday and the young folks were enthusiastic and happy to get their hands dirty. Peter is looking to obtain some bulbs for the pupils to plant and give a good spring flower show. He is also looking to obtain wood for a cold frame and gravel to create new paths. On the subject of the Sensory Garden; this will be a major undertaking that will require some funding. To access this funding a project plan will need to be prepared.
Peter suggested a sign be sited at the poly-tunnel to show that the Men’s Shed is working there in conjunction with Mackie Academy and this was agreed.

 

Shedder Robert reported on the arrangements for the Xmas lunch. The venue is the Station Hotel on the 7th December. The arrangements on the meal is being finalised and will be announced.

Our speaker for the meeting was Shedder Tony Zaccarini. Tony has a passion for photography and was able to share this with the members as he demonstrated techniques to improve photo selection and composition. The techie stuff was informative and the examples of photo-shopped celebrities highly amusing. Tony finished by visiting the cloud to show his work posted on websites. His presentation was well received by the shedders and Tony was given a warm round of applause.
The next meeting will be on 12th October in the Community Centre Bath Street. The room is open from 12.30. Our speakers will be Shedder Wally Burnett and our Webmaster, Nick Hyatt, who will be giving a talk on our website and the information that can be obtained from it. Nick will also discuss, and show, the uses of Laptops/Tablets/Smart Phones/iPads and the likes. Please bring along whatever you use to send messages or communicate on the web as your questions and requests for Information Technology help and support are what our next meeting will focus on.

Tea/ coffee biscuits/cakes as always are available.

(but don’t tell anyone if you’re meant to be on diet) 

Dates for your diary:
19th October – Annual General Meeting – 10.30 Community Centre Bath Street
20th October – Emergency First Aid training – 09.00 Community Centre Bath Street
30th November – Proposed Visit to Portlethen Shed
7th December – Xmas Lunch Station Hotel

Newsletter #26

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting September 28th, 2017

The regular meeting was chaired by Andy Lorimer who welcomed the Shedders to the Community Centre meeting room. New members Noel and Michael introduced themselves to the group and were made welcome.

Following a social period, the business of the Shed was discussed. Secretary Douglas talked about the planned board meeting where we will agree the end of year accounts and manage the arrangements to re-elect trustees and replace those standing down. Also discussed was the latest information on entry to the bunker, along with the progress on CATs.

Douglas then gave a report on the last Grand Promenade meeting as the Shedders have expressed a willingness to get involved in the project. The aim is to enhance the sea front from Dunnottar Castle to Cowie Castle. The existing path will be consolidated and routed past the war memorial. Signage will be refreshed with new signs added and access routes to the Promenade upgraded. The bridge at Salmon Lane will be widened to allow easier transit for pedestrians and to fit with the river widening programme for the Carron. Asked when we would be likely to know more, Douglas suggested that would be in November.

Andy reported that Emergency First Aid training will take place in the Community Centre on Friday 20th October at 09.00 in the Community Room, conducted by Dorothy Clark.

The Poly-tunnel team are off on a well deserved holiday but Shedder Paul reported that the work to reposition the fence around the poly-tunnel was completed, despite the inclement weather on Monday. Thanks to shedders Paul, George and David.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shedder Ian reported on the arrangements for the Xmas lunch. The venue is the Station Hotel on the 7th December. Names are still being sought for this event so that we achieve a minimum of 25 diners to ensure we get the room to ourselves. More information and “how to book” will be given by the Events Team at the next regular meeting.

The awayday event with a visit to the Portlethen Shed was also discussed and Douglas will write to the Portlethen Chairman to confirm the arrangements.

As no speaker had been arranged for the meeting, time normally allocated for that was very well spent by the shedders in socialising, drinking tea & coffee and polishing off the biscuits.

The next meeting will be on 5th October in the Community Centre Bath Street.  The room is open from 12.30. The planned speaker is Shedder Tony Zaccarini who has a passion for photography and will share his skills and show some of his work.

Dates for your diary:

19th October Annual General Meeting – 10.30 Community Centre Bath Street

20th October Emergency First Aid training – 09.00 Community Centre Bath Street

30th November – Proposed Visit to Portlethen Shed

7th December – Xmas Lunch Station Hotel

Tea/coffee & biscuits/cake are always available.

 

Newsletter #25

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting September 21st, 2017

The regular meeting was chaired by Paul Tosh who welcomed the Shedders to the Community Centre meeting room.
Following a social period the business of the shed was discussed. A date and venue is being arranged for the first aid training course. Dates should be available in the Community Centre during the school holidays. Shedder George asked for volunteers to assist in moving the fence at the poly-tunnel.This will add a further 20 square meters to the grounds under cultivation.

The social event before Xmas has been well received and the Events Team are investigating venues. It looks like the 7th December is the preferred date.

The awayday event with a visit to the Portlethan shed was also discussed and has been added to the “dates for your diary” listing.

The speaker for today’s meeting was Kath Pope who gave a talk on “Investigating Fraud”, Kath is an expert on forensic handwriting and document examination. This was an excellent talk prompting many questions from the shedders. Kath was thanked for her talk and was given a warm round of applause.

Poly-tunnel News

Generally running down the plants in the tunnel with a view to re-planting with over wintering ones.

The school pupils have been planning bulbs at the poly-tunnel and these will give a good show in the spring. The area behind the poly-tunnel has been prepared and is now ready for the repositioning of the fence. Could volunteers arrive on Monday morning to assist with the lifting and shifting. Names to George.

Shedder Wally, our technology wizard, spoke about “In Case of Emergency” (ICE) and showed the group how he had set up his mobile phone, which doesn’t have the ICE group facility, to show on his home screen all necessary data readily available for responding personnel to access. Using any text app on your phone enter your ICE data, plus any other information you feel would help paramedics. Take a screen shot of that text doc and set that picture as your home screen.

Screen Capture for ICE home screen

 The next meeting will be on 28th September in the Community Centre Bath Street.  The room is open from 12.30. There is no planned speaker and shedders are requested to bring along any projects they are working on and can talk about.

Dates for your diary:

19th October Annual General Meeting – 10.30 Community Centre Bath Street

30th November – Proposed Visit to Portlethan Shed

December date TBA – Xmas lunch (probably 7th)

Tea/coffee and cakes/biscuits are available.

Newsletter #24

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting September 14th, 2017

The regular meeting was chaired by Andy Lorimer who welcomed the Shedders to the Community Centre meeting room.

Following a social period the business of the shed was discussed. Andy reported on a visit to Westhill Shed where he and Shedder Mike were made welcome by chairman Nick Pilbeam. Nick had offered our Shed planks of seasoned hardwood to support our start-up. These were loaded into our transport, thanks to Mike for supplying his camper van, and transported back to Stonehaven where Shedder Wally had created a space to store them in his garage.

Preparations for the interim Shed in the Bunker were discussed and, apart from the gift of hardwood, we have been offered power machinery and tools. Training and competence were discussed to support the Shed Safety Management System. First Aid training will be required for the Shed Safety Supervisors. Andy then introduced our speaker for the day, Dorothy Clark. Dorothy is an experienced First Aid trainer and will run courses to train up our team in Emergency First Aid. Dorothy gave an outline of the course content to the shedders. A minimum ‘set’ syllabus is required to obtain the certificate but because of working with powerful machinery in the workshop the course will also include injuries that could be caused by this type of equipment. Dorothy was well received by the Shedders who are looking forward to their training course. We already have six volunteers for the first Emergency Response First Aid course.

The Shedders have indicated an intention to support the work on the Grand Promenade and our secretary Douglas Knox attended the meeting that they held that evening. Douglas will give an overview at our next meeting on the 21st of September.

In the Poly-tunnel the plants are being tended by helping hands as some of the regulars take a well-deserved holiday. If you would like to join the regular poly-tunnel team, or just want to drop in on occasions, please contact Peter.

Shedder Ian asked at last week’s meeting if there was interest in having a social event before Xmas. This was well received and there are over ten shedders already signed up. Ian, along with Shedders Robert and Allan, will investigate the options and report back.

An awayday event with a visit to another shed was also raised. There is an outstanding invitation from Portlethen Shed to visit and see how they are now set up and perhaps share in their monthly soup and sandwich event. Looking at the dates, from their website, Thursday 30th November looks to be the most suitable date.

Shedder Keith then brought ICE, “In Case of Emergency”, to the attention of the meeting. This is a procedure whereby the user of “smart mobile phone” (and others with later updates) indicates, using the ICE group in their contacts list, who to call in the event of an emergency. This is valuable information for responding personnel at the scene of an accident. Smart Mobile Phones already have an ICE group entered in the phone ready to be populated with the appropriate contact numbers. Please check the method used to access ICE on your phone and make sure you pass this on to family and friends.Keith was thanked for this contribution and his document will be sent out with the report.

Since the talk we’ve found a method that works on any phone that allows a lock screen image to be set up:

  1. Open any note-taking app.
  2. Type whatever ICE information you want in the note. Make sure you have margins on all sides and that the text easily fits on one screen.
  3. Take a screenshot of that note.
  4. Use that screenshot as your lock screen wallpaper.

With this method an emergency responder will have to dial the number that appears on the lock screen wallpaper, rather than have the phone dial it for him or her, but it works.

Several shedders mentioned the two-page article in the P&J about Westhill Men’s Shed and a copy will be sent out with the newsletter.

All the shedders who have joined the Scottish Association of Men’s Sheds are now receiving a newsletter by e-mail. Application forms are available at the regular meetings and the newsletter is available online at https://gallery.mailchimp.com/8c8b8add8972c5f8253e05ef5/files/494454b2-2d7b-4c60-848f-804dfa215e4b/SMSA_Newsletter_Edition_1.01.pdf

 

The next meeting will be on 21st September in the Community Centre Bath Street.  The room is open from 12.30. Kath Pope, who is an expert on forensic handwriting and document examination, will give a talk entitled “Investigating Fraud”.

Tea/coffee and biscuits/cakes are available.

 

Dates for your diary:

19th October Annual General Meeting – 10.30 Community Centre Bath Street

30th November – Proposed Visit to Portlethen Shed

December date TBA – Xmas lunch (probably 7th or 14th) – keep checking

Newsletter #23

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting September 7th, 2017

The regular meeting was chaired by Andy Lorimer who welcomed the Shedders to the Community Centre meeting room.

The visit to the poly-tunnel was discussed and Andy put up on the sceen a series of photographs showing the shedders at work; George and Peter surrounded by tomato plants bursting with tomatoes; unfortunately there was not a photo of Kenny doing great work with a graip digging out the potatoes but we had a few of the shedders, paintbrushes in hand, painting the fence. Peter had asked for another couple of volunteers to support the core poly-tunnel team and hands were raised. The team will be starting to prepare the planting schedule for 2018 and would welcome further green fingered volunteers. If you would like to join the regular poly-tunnel team please contact Peter. The extension to the cultivated area will take place soon.

   

Given the success of the away day at the poly-tunnel it was suggested that we arrange another day out. Andy said that we had been invited to the Portlethan Shed by their vice-chairman. They have a regular soup and sandwich event and perhaps we could visit there, see how their shed is working and sample the home-made soup and sandwiches. This will be raised again at the next regular meeting.

 

Shed secretary Douglas then updated the meeting on a few issues:

Grant applications for funds to purchase new equipment for the shed have been made. We have heard from some possible sources that we have not been successful this year and await news from the other funds providers.

Our CAT for the green shed will go forward with our financial statement for 2016 – 2017.

AGM – we will hold our Annual General Meeting on 19th October and we will convene a board meeting before that AGM.

We will be meeting with local councillors to discuss issues around the Shed’s Community Asset Transfers and the slow progress in gaining entry into the Civil Defence bunker.

Grand Promenade, Douglas will attend the meeting next week. The Shedders have indicated an intention to support this programme.

Shedder Robert told the group that when the new renal unit is built at the Kincardine Hospital that there would be a requirement for an outdoor seating area with benches and planters. He had been approached by a member of staff to ask if the Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed would be prepared to build these.  The members were all in favour about tackling this kind of community related work and agreed, although it was pointed out that having a working shed would greatly assist the Shedders.

Shedder Ian then asked if the group was minded to have a social event outside the Community Centre and suggested an Xmas lunch. He would be happy to make the arrangements and prepare the tickets. This was well received by the group and we will start to collect names next week at the regular meeting.

The next meeting will be on 14th September in the Community Centre Bath Street.  The room is open from 12.30. We will be looking at the training required for the Shed Safety Supervisors and Dorothy Clark a first aid trainer will talk with us.

Dates for your diary:

19th October Annual General Meeting – 10.30 Community Centre Bath Street

October date TBA – Visit to Portlethan Shed

December date TBA – Xmas lunch

 

Tea/ coffee is available.

Newsletter #22

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting August 31st, 2017

The regular meeting was chaired by Andy Lorimer who welcomed the Shedders to the Mackie Academy Poly-tunnel. This was an opportunity for the shedders to see the results of the planting carried out by our Poly-tunnel gardening team and the students from Mackie Academy.

Shedders Peter and George gave a report on the activities of the poly-tunnel group over the year. It has been a successful planting year and the fruits of their labours were everywhere to see. Tomatoes in abundance, including the green zebra striped variety. Courgettes, Broad and Runner Beans to name but a few.

A crop of potatoes was lifted and the shedders were happy to contribute to the funds for next year’s plants by buying all the crop (no “boilings” were taken we’re happy to report). Beans and tomatoes were also available.

George spoke about plans to extend the area under cultivation by 20 square meters as this would allow a couple of raised beds for the students to use. The existing fence will be moved back by 4 meters and shedders were asked to assist in the work. A plea of “not on a regular golf day” was made and this will be arranged.

Peter spoke about the activities involving the students and work done to tidy up and replant the planters round the school. We will also be planning to complete the existing sensory garden in the academy playing field. Peter asked for additional regular volunteers to support the polytunnel activities and the sensory garden project.

Following these briefings, paintbrushes were raised and the group set to work painting the wooden fence around the poly-tunnel.

        

A big thank you to all the shedders who met at the Poly-tunnel and assisted in lifting the crop of potatoes, then painting the fence around the tunnel.

Also thanks to Robert for bringing along his camper van and providing us with hot water for the teas and coffee.

If you would like to join the regular Poly-tunnel team please contact Peter and let him know.

Andy then spoke about the work ongoing to prepare for entry into our temporary Shed in the Civil Defence bunker and the actions being taken to progress our CAT transfers. We are hopeful to gain entry to the bunker next month.

The next meeting will be on 7th September in the Community Centre Bath Street.  The room is open from 12.30. We will be looking at the training required for the Shed Safety Supervisors and have invited a first aid trainer to talk with us.

Newletter #21

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed at the Harbour Festival August 2017

Some of the crew manning our stall

Just some of the team of shedders above, Peter Cooper, Robert Stirling and new shedder Dave Thomson ready at the stand at the harbour. We all had a great day, meeting lots of people; we were wished well by a councillor from Falkirk who had helped in setting up sheds in her area. We also had a talk with the vice chair of the Portlethen Shed. Offers of tools were made and these will be graciously accepted when we move into our temporary premises in Arduthie Road. Folks who signed up for more information will be added to our growing mailing list.

The whisky trail was a great success and the bottle of rare malt won by Mr. Mutch from Inverurie but the greatest fun was the young people searching the lucky dip tub, and a big thanks to shedder Paul Tosh for arranging the lucky dip.

Our next outing is to the Shed’s Poly-tunnel at Mackie Academy 12.30 on Thursday 31st August. Robert will be providing the hot water for the usual teas/ coffee from his camper van and there will be biscuits! We will be gathering in the tatties so wear appropriate clothing.

Please note it is a school day so parking at Mackie will be restricted. (more…)

Newletter #20

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Uncategorized

Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed Meeting August 17th, 2017

The regular meeting was chaired by Andy Lorimer who welcomed the Shedders. New shedder Dave introduced himself to the group and was given a warm welcome.

At the start of the meeting we were joined for tea and biscuits by Caroline Lamb, Public Health Coordinator who is based in the Kincardine Community Hospital. Carolyn introduced herself to the group and outlined some of the responsibilities in her portfolio. Reducing alcohol consumption, smoking, dietary issues & obesity, early years for our young folks and Community Capacity, which means getting people engaged in activities that improve welfare and health, including setting up walking groups for both exercise and companionship. Carolyn is keen to support Men’s Shed activities and offered to set up “cooking for men” sessions when we have our own premises. Carolyn was thanked for her support and will be welcomed back when we have our own premises.

Peter Newell then gave a report on the activities of the Shed members who set up and ran the stall for the car boot sale on August 13th. The boot sale went well and the funds generated will help support fitting out our Shed when we move into the bunker.

Bill Allan, our chairman, is in hospital at present and Peter reported that the card signed by the members last week was well received and cheered him up.

Robert Stirling spoke for the Events Coordination Group about the requirements for the Stonehaven and District Men’s Shed stand at the Harbour Festival. Volunteers to set up and man the stand were requested and a list was drawn up.

The CAT application for the Green Shed is in the final stages of preparation and will be submitted next week.

Andy spoke about the document “The Shed Effect” which is a collection of stories, personal insights and experiences from members of Sheds across Scotland. The document sets out the advantages of Sheds, both for the individual and the community and is presented in PDF. If you don’t have a reader then please use this link https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/, but please make sure you untick both the optional extension and McAfee installs if you don’t need them – be surprised if you did! The reader is from a legitimate Adobe site – we would not take any interested party into software danger . Please click the link, have a read through, and let us know your thoughts; http://www.ageuk.org.uk/documents/en-gb-sc/the%20shed%20effect.pdf?dtrk=true.

Poly-tunnel News

Peter reports that the tomato, peppers, courgettes, onion and bean plants are all fine. The Poly-tunnel  is the venue for our regular meeting on 31st August when the potatoes will be ready for lifting and – great opportunity – the shedders can help lift them.  The key thing will be how to keep the tea and coffee hot for the workers! The Stonehaven Annual Summer Show is taking place on 27th August and would give a great potential for us to show our produce and tell of the work being done with the Mackie schoolchildren on a few projects. Peter will investigate the requirements for our attendance.

There was no planned speaker for the meeting this week but the various working groups continued planning their activities to prepare to operate the bunker.

Dates for your diary:

Sunday 27th August – Stonehaven Harbour Festival. Robert asked the shedders to support the Shed’s stand and just come along.

Thursday 31st August – The regular meeting will take place in the Poly-tunnel at Mackie Academy, wear your boots or wellies dependant on the weather. The usual tea/ coffee and biscuits will be there.

The next meeting will be on 24th August in the Community Centre Bath Street.  The room is open from 12.30. The planned speaker is John from CLAN who will talk about their activities and the support that they offer.

Tea/ coffee, as always, is available.